C-12. Clinical Contracts
Target Group: Basic BSN and RN-BSN Students
Policy Type: New Policy
To document student behaviors that violate standards of Essential Abilities, Professional Performance, Nursing’s Code of Ethics or the IU Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities and Conduct. To give students the opportunity to make behavioral improvements and meet nursing/academic standards.
- Faculty will immediately make students aware of behaviors that violate professional standards and provide the student with verbal feedback to allow the student to make necessary improvements.
- Behaviors that do not show improvement or vary significantly from expectations should be documented in the clinical contract (attached).
- The Clinical contract will identify the standard(s) violated, improvements expected of the student and consequences.
- Clinical contracts are shared with faculty. It is the responsibility of the faculty to meet with the student prior to each semester to review expectations of the contract.
- The APG committee is notified of each clinical contract. If there are repeated violations or lack of improvement, the APG committee makes recommendations to the Dean of Nursing and/or Office of Student Affairs for additional action.
- Clinical contracts are not time limited. They are in effect for the duration of the nursing program.
- The clinical contract does not take the place of the IU Code for students. Additional intervention may be warranted if the behavior is also in violation of the Student Code.
- The instructor documents the clinical contract and discusses with the student. A copy is provided to the student with the original maintained in the School of Nursing student file.
- The clinical contract is shared with nursing faculty.
- Hard copies of the contract will be distributed to course leaders who are responsible for communicating to appropriate faculty.
- The academic advisor will include a report on clinical contracts in the CNF meeting at the beginning of each semester and mid-semester.
Effective Date: Spring 2011
Approved by: Admission, Progression, Graduation Committee
Approved by: Council of Nursing Faculty
III. General Policies
- C-1 Annual Requirements and Registering for Nursing Classes
- C-2 Approval of Undistributed Courses
- C-3 Definition of Clock Hour per Credit Hour
- C-4 Course Time Limit
- C-5 Essential Abilities
- C-6 Nursing Scholarships / Financial Assistance
- C-7 Academics and Grievances
- C-8 Use of Social Media and other Electronic Communication
- C-9 Withdrawl from Nursing Courses
- C-10 Dismissal Policy
- C-11 Reinstatement to the Nursing Major
- C-12 Clinical Contracts
- C-13 Student Retention Algorithm