C-5. Essential Abilities
Target Group: Basic BSN and RN-BSN Students
Policy Type: Revision
- The essential abilities criteria and procedure will be included in the IU Southeast Bulletin and incorporated into informational packets given to students interested in the nursing program.
- Applicants accepting admission to the nursing program will be required to sign a letter of agreement that specifies the essential abilities criteria. This agreement states they have read and understand that they will be expected to meet the essential abilities in all settings and situations while an IUS nursing student.
- Students questioning their physical, emotional or mental ability to meet the essential abilities criteria will be encouraged to address their inquiries with the IUS Coordinator of Disabilities Services.
- Students with physical, emotional, mental health or learning disabilities (documented by a physician, psychologist, or qualified healthcare professional) will be guided by the Coordinator for the Office of Disability Services regarding appropriate accommodations. Students with disabilities must meet the essential abilities criteria with (or without) reasonable accommodations.
- Faculty has the responsibility to determine when a student has failed to demonstrate these essential abilities. Faculty has the right to request consultation from recognized experts as deemed appropriate.
- Students failing to meet these essential abilities, as determined by faculty, at any point in their academic program may have their progress interrupted until they have demonstrated their ability to meet these essential abilities within negotiated time frames.
- Students will be dismissed from their program of study if faculty determines that they are unable to meet these essential abilities.
- Students failing to demonstrate these essential abilities criteria, as determined by the faculty, may appeal this adverse determination in accordance with the Indiana University Southeast's appeal procedures.
Effective Date: August 2004
Approved by: Admission, Progression, Graduation Committee: November 2011
Approved by: Council of Nursing Faculty: November 2011
III. General Policies
- C-1 Annual Requirements and Registering for Nursing Classes
- C-2 Approval of Undistributed Courses
- C-3 Definition of Clock Hour per Credit Hour
- C-4 Course Time Limit
- C-5 Essential Abilities
- C-6 Nursing Scholarships / Financial Assistance
- C-7 Academics and Grievances
- C-8 Use of Social Media and other Electronic Communication
- C-9 Withdrawal from Nursing Courses
- C-10 Dismissal Policy
- C-11 Reinstatement to the Nursing Major
- C-12 Clinical Contracts
- C-13 Student Retention Algorithm