Frequently Asked Questions

About Immunization Compliance at IU Southeast

I don't have any immunization records and do not recall whether I was immunized or just had the disease and survived. What can I do to show compliance and get the hold removed from my account so I can register?

Depending on your situation, there are alternatives for getting copies of your immunization records or showing compliance. Students born before January 1, 1957 do not need to provide information for measles, rubella (German measles) or mumps, for example.

The best place to secure a copy of your immunization records is your pediatrician’s office. Be aware that several pediatrician’s offices destroy patient records 10 years after the patient turns 18. Another good source: your parent(s).

As a current practice, Indiana public high schools maintain immunization records on their graduates. Sometimes they are incorporated into the high school transcript itself; and sometimes they are maintained as a separate document by the school. Securing or viewing a copy of your high school transcript will tell if your immunization records are part of your transcript. If they are not, they still may be available from your high school as a separate document. Contact your old high school administration to make inquiry.

Graduates of Jefferson County Public Schools (JCPS) in Kentucky may also have their immunization records kept in conjunction with their high school transcripts. Graduates of JCPS schools can make a records request online. Health/Immunization records cost $8.00. JCPS generally retains Health/Immunization records for six years after graduation. If you order and pay for a Health/Immunization record from JCPS, and your record cannot be located or is found to be already destroyed, JCPS will refund the fees paid.

Additionally, both Indiana and Kentucky maintain immunization registries, accessible through local health departments or online, after registration. If your medical provider is a participant in the registry, your immunization records may already be available through those state portals.

If, after exhausting all above resources, you are still unable to provide dates of the required immunizations, you can schedule an appointment with your doctor, a medical laboratory, or health clinic, and request a vaccine titer. A titer test is a procedure in which your blood is drawn and tested for presence of antibodies in your system, indicating you have either been vaccinated or have had and survived the diseases. A titer document issued by a medical provider will suffice to show compliance with the IU Immunization Compliance policy.

I did not get immunized: I just got the disease as a child and got better. How do I document that to show compliance?

Medical records from that time attesting to that fact, or a statement from your then or current doctor or other medical care provider, testifying to the fact that they know you had the disease will suffice for the policy. If there are no records, and your current medical care provider has no direct knowledge of whether you had the disease or not and is unwilling to issue a statement, then a lab titer document will suffice. See Question 1 re: titer. A statement signed by only you will not suffice.

How do I make a claim for a religious exemption?

To claim exemption from the immunization compliance policy based on religious grounds, you submit a written statement, to the effect “It is against my religious beliefs to accept vaccinations,” and sign it with your legal, hand-written signature, like you were signing a legal affidavit. A document with only a typed signature, or that purports to come from someone else, like a parent or minister, will be disapproved. You can then scan your signed statement into an electronic document, and upload it to the Immunization Compliance Form. Once uploaded you can have it applied to all vaccinations you seek exemption from, except the tuberculosis requirement if you are an International Student.

If I claim exemption from one or all the required vaccinations, and an outbreak occurs on campus, what happens?

If there is an outbreak of any of the diseases IU seeks immunization against on the Southeast campus, university administrators will consult the database of students who claimed exemption, for religious or medical reasons, and contact them to advise them to leave campus immediately and not return until an “All clear” is given. Such actions are for the safety of students who have not been immunized, as they are at higher risk of becoming sick and further promoting an epidemic.
At the time of such outbreak, students who formerly claimed exemption may seek to become immunized and present documentation of such immunization, to avoid the keep away notice.

I'm pregnant. I got some of my vaccinations as a child but not all, and in my current state, I should not take more immunizations. What do I do?

Ask your doctor or prenatal care provider to issue a statement confirming your pregnancy. You can upload that document to the Immunization Compliance Form to support your request for a Medical Exemption for the time being. The same precautions will apply to you during that time as with other kinds of medical or religious exemptions: should there be an outbreak on campus, and you have not been immunized, you will advised to leave campus immediately, and not return until an "All clear" is given.

Version Date: 10/17/2016