Policy and Practice effective Fall 2016
By vote of the Indiana University Board of Trustees and effective November 30, 2015, the immunization compliance requirements that have been part of the Bloomington campus operations for several semesters were extended to all campuses of Indiana University.
Students starting for the first time at IU Southeast in the Fall 2016 semester will show compliance by completing an online Immunization Compliance Form in which they provide dates for:
- Measles: Student must show immunization with two doses of live measles vaccine. Both doses must be administered after 1967. The first dose should be given on or after student’s first birthday; and the second at least 30 days after the first.
- Rubella (German measles): Student must show immunization with vaccine on or after the first birthday
- Mumps: Student must show immunization with vaccine on of after the first birthday.
Note: Students born before January 1, 1957 do not need to provide information on measles, mumps, or rubella
- Tdap (tetanus-diptheria-acellular pertussis, a.k.a whooping cough): Student must have received a Td booster within the last 10 years.
- Varicella (Chicken pox): Students must demonstrate immunization with two doses of vaccine. The first dose should be given on or after the first birthday and the second given at least 28 days after the first.
Students will also be asked to acknowledge that they have read and understand the risks associated with meningococcal disease (meningitis). Additionally, international students must also provide documentation they have been tested for tuberculosis in the United States.
An exemption from one or all of the required immunizations (except tuberculosis for international students) may be granted when student provides one of the following:
- physician’s written statement of immunity due to having had the infection
- statement of contraindication, i.e. allergy or other health risk, to a vaccine (accompanied by a physician’s statement)
- a lab titer report documenting immunity
- a statement of religious exemption
The online form provides a mechanism to upload these supporting documents. Exemption documents may also be e-mailed as follows:
Medical Exemptions: email@example.com
Statement of Religious Exemption: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who Must Show Compliance and When?
Every student who will be physically present on campus must show compliance by the next semester after they first enroll. Students who are in all online programs are exempt from showing compliance. Students who take all online classes in one semester are exempt from demonstrating compliance for that semester, but will need to show compliance if they take at least 1 in-person class on campus, or at an IU Southeast satellite facility.
Students who fail to show compliance or present documentation indicating an exemption by their second enrolled semester will have a hold placed on their account by the Registrar’s Office, which will stop their further enrollment, until compliance is shown.
Students who began at IU Southeast before Fall 2016 and who were deemed compliant under the former policy will generally be considered compliant under the new policy. A student returning after an absence of more than a year, changing programs or campuses after Fall 2016 may be asked to show compliance under the new policy.
To review the immunization policy in full, visit the University Policies website.
Policy and Practice for Students Starting before Summer/Fall 2016
Students who started through Spring 2016 show compliance by completing the acknowledgement of meningitis information as outlined below.
Student Meningococcal (Meningitis) Disease Update
Indiana State Law requires IU Southeast to inform all students of the risks of Meningococcal disease, commonly known as meningitis, and the benefits of getting a vaccination. While it is NOT mandatory that students get vaccinated, students must access the Immunization Compliance Form, read the attached information, and acknowledge that they have read and understand the information.
To access the Immunization Compliance Form, follow these steps:
- Log in using your Username and Passphrase.
- In One.iu.edu, search "Immunization"
- Click on this app tile labelled "Immunization Compliance Form (All IU Campuses)" and follow on screen prompts.