The Criminal Justice Department offers a Bachelor of Science in Criminology and Criminal Justice which offers the opportunity to study the origins, nature, and causes of norm-violating behavior as well as societal reactions to this behavior.
University Credit Hour & Residency Requirements
All Baccalaureate degrees offered by IU Southeast requires a minimum of 120 credit hours and a minimum of 30 credit hours of upper-level coursework (300-level or above). No more than 64 credit hours earned in accredited junior/community colleges may be applied toward a Baccalaureate degree. The University Residency Requirement dictates that students must complete no less than 26 credit hours at IU Southeast during their senior year and no less than 10 credit hours of coursework in the major field of study.
Department of Criminal Justice Residency Requirements
The Department of Criminal Justice requires that students must take the core courses of CJUS-P200, CJUS-P295, and CJUS-P470 on the IUS campus.
General Education Core Requirements
All IU Southeast Baccalaureate degrees require 30 credit hours of General Education Core coursework. Students must select a course(s) to satisfy each category listed below. View the list of courses that satisfy the General Education Core requirements.
- Information Literacy (1 credit)
- Written Communications I (3 credits)
- Written Communications II (3 credits)
- Oral Communications (3 credits)
- Ethical Reasoning/Diversity (3 credits)
- Natural Sciences (one lecture – 3 credits, one lab – 2 credits)
- Arts/Humanities(3 credits)
- Social Science(3 credits)
- General Education Additional Requirement (Art, Humanities, or Social Science) (3 credits)
Please note that several courses required for your Major may “double dip” with the general education core courses.
BS Distribution Requirements
In addition to the 30 cr. General Education Core students completing a Bachelor of Science degree are required to complete the following BS Distribution Requirements:
- 4 courses from the 5 categories in Mathematics, Computer Science, Informatics, Biological Sciences, and Natural Sciences listed (14-20 credits)
Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice Requirements
- Criminal Justice (39 credit hours)
- Mathematics (3 credits)
Students will remain a pre-major in the degree until the following requirements have been completed: 60 credit hours, 2.8 or higher GPA, and the following courses with the grade of a C or higher: ENG-W131, MATH-A/M118, CJUS-P100, CJUS-P200, CJUS-P295.