Students may apply to invoke the Fresh Start policy if they meet both of the following criteria:
- They are pursuing their first baccalaureate degree
- They have not been enrolled at any IU campus for 24 or more consecutive months (2 years).
Students who left any Indiana University campus in less-than-good academic standing, e.g. academic probation or dismissal, are eligible for application of the Fresh Start policy if they are determined eligible for readmission to Indiana University Southeast.
All IU Southeast undergraduate students who meet the criteria, regardless of the academic unit of enrollment, are eligible to apply for Fresh Start.
NOTE: This policy does not supersede any program-specific policies or requirements
Students must make application for Fresh Start by the last day of classes in their first term of enrollment after the 24+-month hiatus. This date is published and available online in the Academic Calendar.
The policy includes the following eight conditions that establish its limitations:
- Notations for academic probation, academic suspension, academic dismissal, or bankruptcy from prior terms of enrollment will remain on the student transcript, but will not be used for determining a student’s academic standing following the application of the Fresh Start policy. Only grades earned after the application of the Fresh Start re-enrollment will be used in determining academic standing (probation, suspension, dismissal, Dean’s or Chancellor’s List, graduation eligibility).
- Grades awarded as result of being found responsible in an Academic Misconduct inquiry will not be removed from the program GPA calculation by application of Fresh Start.
- Once Fresh Start is invoked and applied to student record, Extended-X or any other grade replacement policies are restricted: they may only apply when both classes of the grade replacement pair were completed after the application of Fresh Start. In no cases may a student who has been granted Fresh Start seek to replace a grade completed before the application of Fresh Start.
- Students may apply for and invoke Fresh Start only once. Once applied, it may not be revoked by the student.
- The policy will apply to all terms of IU enrollment, regardless of the campus on which the courses were completed, for purposes of determining IU Southeast degree progress and completion.
- To earn an IU Southeast degree, students must earn a minimum of thirty (30) degree-applicable credit hours on the IU Southeast campus after the application of Fresh Start.
- Students receiving a similar academic forgiveness benefit on another Indiana University campus are not eligible for IU Southeast Fresh Start.
- Students receiving IU Southeast Fresh Start who subsequently become degree-seeking students on another IU campus are subject to the policies in effect for the IU campus from which they receive their degree.