Access to Buildings
Monday through Friday, classroom buildings are open from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. except when closed for an official holiday (New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day). Saturday and Sunday, classroom buildings are open for scheduled classes, events, or meetings. University Center is always open. Library hours can be found on the Library Hours page.
Special events or programs may allow groups to be in a building after hours based upon prior approval and notification to the University Police. Any unauthorized persons found in a building after hours will be identified and escorted from the building.
After Hours Facility Access
There are times when students may need to be in a building after hours to work on a special project. A student’s instructor may authorize a student to be in a building after hours to complete a special project or assignment. Instructors shall follow these procedures when requesting access for a student:
- The instructor/director shall submit to University Police a request for access by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The request should include the following information:
- Students full name and student ID number
- Building name
- Area or Room(s) authorized to be in
- Date(s) student is authorized to be in area
Example: fall semester 2010, any time after building closes or March 1 through March 7
- Instructor’s phone number in case of emergency
Requests will not be accepted over the telephone.
After the request(s) is received and approved by University Police, the instructor will be notified by reply email.
Students shall not work with life threatening materials, while alone. This is the responsibility of the faculty who supervise student projects to assure that if a student is to be working with life threatening material, the work is done at their presence or the presence of another IU Southeast employee who is authorized by the faculty.
Students may not bring a guest or children with them when accessing a building after hours.
After a student has been given access to a building after hours, the student should call University Police to report when they are leaving the building. Campus phones are available inside the building to use.
Do not use an emergency telephone for this purpose.
- Students accessing a building after hours should remain in their authorized area.
- If you are using a classroom, meeting room, computer lab, or office after hours, you should secure the door while occupying the room if possible.
- Carry a cell phone with you.
- Know where the emergency phones and campus phones are located inside the building.
- Call University Police when you leave and secure the door behind you. Make sure the building exterior door secures when you exit the building.