IU Southeast Writing Competition
Deadline: Submissions accepted until March 1, 2019
A literary composition in which special attention may be given to particular elements such as rhythm, metaphor, and imagery
Flash Fiction (limit: 1000 words)
A very short story, written in prose
Fiction (limit: 7500 words)
A short story, written in prose
Creative Nonfiction (limit: 7500 words)
A factually accurate narrative written using literary techniques (think David Sedaris’ work or Truman Capote’s In Cold Blood). For more information, see UVM Writing Center's Creative Non-Fiction page.
Cash prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place entries in each category.
Winners will be honored at the English Department Gala on March 23, 2019.
To be eligible, students must have been enrolled for a full semester from Summer I 2016 to Spring 2018.
Limit: Two entries per student per category. You may submit in as many categories as you like, but each entry must be submitted separately.
- Submissions must be attached through the form below. Word documents only.
- Submit entry in 12-point font, double-spaced. Poetry may be single-spaced.
- Do NOT write your name on your submission(s). Entries that do not follow this guideline may be disqualified.
- Each entry is to be submitted separately.
- Only two entries per category will be accepted.
For questions, please contact The Writing Center at (812) 941-2498 or firstname.lastname@example.org.