Rules Determining Resident and Nonresident Student Status for Indiana University Fee Purposes

Application for Classification as a Resident Student at Indiana University for Fee-Paying Purposes. (PDF)

Reciprocity (Kentucky Students)

Application for Reciprocity (PDF)

State tuition reciprocity agreements are arrangements between two or more states where the citizens of a defined region in one state can enroll at identified institutions in another state (and vice versa) for a reduced tuition charge. The states of Indiana and Kentucky have entered a renewable agreement that allows student who are residents of specified Kentucky counties to attend IU Southeast and pay the in-state tuition rate.

The period covered by the current agreement is July 1, 2017 - June 30, 2021. The seven Kentucky counties currently specified are: Bullitt, Jefferson, Oldham, Meade, Shelby, Spencer, and Trimble.

If the agreement is not renewed by the executives of both states, reciprocity students already enrolled at IU Southeast will be permitted to complete their degrees programs at the then-current, in-state tuition rate, as long as they are continuously enrolled. Continuous enrollment for purposes of this policy means registering in at least one class every Fall and Spring semester, until degree/credential is completed.

The standards for determining who is a "resident" of one of the qualifying counties under the agreement are set by the IU-wide policy, Rules for Determining Resident and Nonresident Student Status for Indiana University Fee Purposes. Where in that policy the language references "Indiana," insert the phrase "one of the qualifying Kentucky counties" to understand how the policy applies to Kentucky residents.

To be eligible for the in-state tuition rate under the reciprocity agreement, Kentucky students must still meet the basic 12-month residency rule as defined in Rule 1 of the policy, which states:

"Residence" as the term, or any of its variations (e.g., "resided"), as used in the context of these Rules, means the place where an individual has his or her permanent home, at which he or she remains when not called elsewhere for labor, studies, or other special or temporary purposes, and to which he or she returns in seasons of repose. It is the place a person has voluntarily fixed as a permanent habitation for himself or herself with an intent to remain in such place for an indefinite period. A person at any one time has but one residence, and a residence cannot be lost until another is gained.

  1. A person entering [one of the qualifying Kentucky counties] from another state or country does not at that time acquire residence for the purpose of these Rules, but except as provided in Rule 2(c)1, such person must be a resident for 12 months in order to qualify as a resident student for fee purposes.
  2. Physical presence in [one of the qualifying Kentucky counties] for the predominant purpose of attending a college, university, or other institution of higher education, shall not be counted in determining the 12-month period of residence; nor shall absence from [one of the qualifying Kentucky counties] for such purpose deprive a person of resident student status."

Under Rule 2 a., the policy provides that a student’s residency follows that of his/her parents until the age of 21:

"The residence of an unemancipated person under 21 years of age who is lawfully present in the United States follows that of the parents or of a legal guardian who has actual custody of such person or administers the property of such person. In the case of divorce or separation, if either parent meets the residence requirements, such person will be considered a resident."

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The reciprocity agreement applies only to IU Southeast registration and tuition. Kentucky resident students, even those in one of the qualifying counties, who make a permanent or temporary inter-campus transfer to take even 100% online classes at another IU campus will be classified as non-resident at those campuses, and will be billed by those campuses’ Bursar’s Offices at the out-of-state rate.

For maps and additional information check the information for Kentucky students page.