Indiana University Southeast pledges itself to continue its commitment to the achievement of equal opportunity within the University and throughout American society as a whole. In this regard, Indiana University Southeast will recruit, hire, promote, educate, and provide services to persons based upon their individual qualifications. Indiana University Southeast prohibits discrimination based on arbitrary considerations of such characteristics as age, color, disability, ethnicity, gender, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Indiana University Southeast shall take affirmative action, positive and extraordinary, to overcome the discriminatory effects of traditional policies and procedures with regard to the disabled, minorities, women, and Vietnam-era veterans.
No one at the university may reprimand or discriminate against a person for having initiated, in good faith, an inquiry or complaint.
How is a Complaint Filed?
Usually complaints are filed by contacting the Office of Equity and Diversity by phone at (812) 941-2306 to discuss the complaint or to schedule a meeting with a staff member. Except in limited circumstances, a grievance form must be completed and signed by the Complainant before any actions will be taken in response to the complaint.
- Some complaints are referred to the Office of Equity and Diversity from other university offices. Any discrimination complaint filed with Human Resources will be forwarded to the Office of Equity and Diversity for investigation.
If you feel you have been discriminated against, or sexually harassed, please contact our office as soon as possible.
If you would like to submit feedback or a general complaint via this website instead of filing a formal complaint, please do so by completing our Perception Zone form.
What Does the Office of Equity & Diversity Do With the Complaint?
The Office of Equity and Diversity attempts to resolve all complaints of discrimination internally in a fair and equitable manner. The Office of Equity and Diversity does this by:
- Conducting a fair and objective investigation into the allegations of discrimination;
- Making recommendations for appropriate action to persons of authority in the department or unit involved based on the results of the investigation;
- Notifying the Vice Chancellor and/or the Complainant and Respondent of the university's action;
- Handling conflict resolution through mediation;
- Conducting equal opportunity/affirmative action training workshops and distributing compliance materials.
What are the Other Options Inside IU?
Depending upon the circumstances involved complainants and respondents may also contact other university offices for information or advice such as:
- Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs: (812) 941-2420
- Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs: (812) 941-2208
- Vice Chancellor for Administrative Affairs: (812) 941-2202
- Disabled Student Services: (812) 941-2243
- Human Resources: (812) 941-2356
If you have any questions about any of this information, please feel free to contact us at (812) 941-2306.