Condo - HOA Management
Indiana University Southeast offers the online-only five-course certificate for the new CSM designation which stands for Chartered Shared-Expense Housing Manager.
The IU Southeast School of Business is home to this first-of-its-kind offering for University level training for Condo/HOA Managers.
Earning your CSM Designation in Condo/HOA Management, with an Indiana University Certificate Diploma helps you gain trust and respect from your condo/HOA clients.
- University Training Credibility with your Clients: A University Certificate Diploma helps you gain trust and respect from your condo/HOA property management clients.
- Affordable Cost: $416 per full-semester online class.
- Convenience of online only classes: Are you a working adult with kids or on a tight schedule? If so, online learning is perfect for you.
Course 1: Intro to Condo/HOA Property Management
- Deﬁnition of terms, including Reserve Studies
- Time Management & Personal Organization
- Organizing Data for being Proactive
- Manager as a Respected Leader of the Community
- Vocabulary of Building Mechanical Systems
- Major Repairs & Renovations
- Relationships with a Network of Trusted Vendors
- Project Management
Course 2: Mastery in Communications: the foundation of your relationships
- Interpersonal Communication & Emotional Intelligence
- Building Trust as a Leader
- Better Business Writing: Engage readers, Tighten and brighten, Make your case
- Writing a Meeting Agenda & Meeting Minutes
- Group Communications: Newsletters, E-Newsletters and the Power of Photography to tell your story
- Persuading & Explaining Complex Issues
- Responses for Common Complaints
- Delivering Praise, Delivering Bad News
Course 3: Dealing with and leading people: difficult to wonderful
- Five Categories of Owners, grouped from 'Most Difficult' to "Agreeable & Leaders'
- Leading Psychology Personality Theory: Big Five + One
- Personality Types and How to Deal with them, including:
- Narcissistic Personality Type
- Borderline Personaliy Type
- Antisocial or Sociopath Personality Type
- Suspicious and Paranoid Personality Type
- Accusatory, your Base of Support in Agreeable, Quiet or Leader Types
Course 4: Legal Issues and Enforcement in Condos and HOAs
- CC&Rs, Master Deeds, By-Laws and House Rules
- Drafting Rules that follow Human Nature and Nature Help with Obtaining Buy-In
- Enforcement and Ramping Up Penalties
- Condo Sales and Seller Certificates
- Threatening Behavior
- Debt Collection
- Voting & Elections
- Conflicts of Interest
- Pet & Parking Policies
- Construction Defects
Course 5: Financial Planning to Calm the Waters
- Budget Creation
- Reviewing Balance Sheet, Income Statement, and other Key Data
- Board Treasurer Duties & Your Relationship with herhim
- Insurance Agent Duties & Your Relationship with her/him
- Buying Insurance: A Primer
- CPA Firm Duties & Your Relationship with her/him
- Banker Duties & Your Relationship with her/him
- Bookkeeper Duties & Your Relationship up with them
- Reserve Study Provider & Your Relationship with her/him
- Communicating Financial Data to Owners
Course Instructor and Creator
Patrick Hohman has been a volunteer condo board member for 30 years at his home in Louisville, Kentucky and has served as part-time site manager at another condo association. He has taught condo/HOA volunteer board members at Bellarmine University in Louisville since 2005. He is author of Condos Townhomes and Home Owner Associations: How to make your investment safer.