Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
Most faculty are fairly comfortable conducting discipline based, scholarship of discovery. Conducting research that looks at the effectiveness of teaching methods - the scholarship of teaching and learning – is somewhat foreign, though. For most faculty, even discovering that there is a vast literature on these topics may be surprising. Designing methodologically sound approaches to answering questions about effectiveness and then identifying the appropriate conferences and journals to publish results may be daunting. The good news is that there are many resources to assist.
Getting Support for SoTL
Teaching and Learning Journals
Indiana University, through FACET, sponsors two journals focused on the scholarship of teaching and learning (SoTL):
Teaching and Learning Conferences
There are local, regional, national, and international teaching and learning conferences. Always begin with your own discipline conference. Many discipline-based conferences have teaching-related sections.
Organizations for the SoTL
- International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
- FACET – Mack Center for Inquiry on Teaching and Learning
- Professional and Organizational Development Network in Higher Education (POD)
- CASTL: The Carnegie Academy for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
- Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching