Teacher Testing and Certification Information
Testing for Admission to Undergraduate and Transition to Teaching Programs
All undergraduate Education programs, and Transition to Teaching, may only admit persons who can demonstrate state-mandated proficiencies in Reading, Writing, and Mathematics. Passing scores earned prior to 9/1/13 on the ETS Praxis will be honored. Pearson's CASA (CORE Academic Skills Assessment) test is required for admittance into the School of Education. There are other state-approved alternatives, including certain SAT, ACT, and GRE scores--see your advisor for details (contact info below).
IMPORTANT NOTE: CASA registration (details in flyer link above) requires that one register and pay for the test(s) BEFORE they show testing centers and available testing appointments. One may cancel testing appointments and registration; if done at least 24 hours prior to the testing appointment, a full refund is made by Pearson.
Teacher Testing for Licensing Information
Please read the appropriate information and follow the procedures for filing for your ORIGINAL teacher's license. If you have questions, please contact the School of Education Advising Office at (812) 941-2386 or email@example.com.
- Prior to seeking admission into any undergraduate Education program, complete and pass the CASA (Core Academic Skills Assessment). Minimum scores of 220 are required; consult your advisor about CASA options.
- Apply for admission to the School of Education.
- Complete any and all required specialty tests (Pearson Indiana Content Assessment Test). Minimum scoreof 220 is required. View required tests and passing scores for Indiana at the CASA Website
- CPR/AED Certification
- Suicide Recognition and Prevention Training
Once all degree requirements have been met, you may apply for the Initial Practitioner license.
- If you want additional information, visit the website of the Indiana Office of Educator Licensing and Development.
- Acquire the comparable IN license; KY now requires that applicants for initial licenses submit a copy of the corresponding IN license.
- Complete any and all required specialty tests (PRAXIS 2). Minimum scores are required.
- The Licensing Advisors will provide other required information and file for your certification with the Kentucky Education Professional Standards Board. Your new license will be mailed to you by KY EPSB.
- If you want additional information, visit the website of the EPSB.
Career Development (IU Southeast)
Career Development Center at IU Southeast can help place you in an education-related job.
For information about scholarships, please see our scholarships and awards page.