Educational Leadership License
Are you ready to take the next step in responsibility and earning power? Our educational leadership license prepares educators to advance within school administration.
The Educational Leadership Program at IU Southeast offers interested candidates a licensure program to receive their principal certification. The program currently consists of ten (10) courses for thirty (30) credit hours. It is a licensure program and not a degree program. Candidates who are accepted into the program may begin their coursework either in the spring, summer or fall semesters. Kentucky candidates may apply the hours toward a Rank 1.
Depending upon the time that one begins coursework, the program may be completed in 3 semesters and 1-2 summers.
Candidates must complete the following courses and meet the program requirements as required by Indiana and Kentucky, if applicable.
All candidates must be admitted to the Educational Leadership Program at IU Southeast.
- Hold a valid classroom teaching license.
- Completed the following course requirements:
|Dept./Course #||Title||Credit Hours|
|EDUC-A 500||Introduction to Educational Leadership||3|
|EDUC-A 510||School and Community Relations||3|
|EDUC-A 608||Legal Perspectives on Education||3|
|EDUC-A 625||Administration of the Elementary School||3|
|EDUC-A 627||Secondary School Administration||3|
|EDUC-A 635||Public School Budgeting and Accounting||3|
|EDUC-A 638||Public School Personnel Management||3|
|EDUC-A 695||Practicum in School Administration (3 one-hour sections)||3|
|EDUC-H 520||Education and Social Issues (section for Educational Leadership)||3|
|EDUC-J 500||Instruction in the Context of Curriculum||3|
|(section for Educational Leadership)|
Attention Kentucky candidates: All coursework must be post-Master's.
Upgrade to a master's degree
Indiana candidates can choose to add your educational leadership license to your M.S.Ed. degree, and/or you can add/take those courses while you are pursuing your M.S.Ed. degree.
- Attend a program group advising session, meet with an Educational Leadership program faculty member, or have a telephone advising meeting with an Educational Leadership program faculty member.
- Complete online application. A $40 application fee is assessed when applying to program. If a previous application fee was paid the fee should be waived. To determine if fee is to be waived, please contact Mary Ann Wild, Records Specialist at (812) 941-2388.
- On the Uploads Tab, upload an essay that explains why you want to be a building level administrator, how you have impacted student learning and how you have served as a school leader.
- Three letters of recommendation that address your leadership skills must be submitted. One must be from a current or recent supervisor. Use the Recommendation Tab on the online application to request electronically. If desired, letters may be mailed directly to Records Specialist.
- Submit official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work completed at institutions other than an IU school. A minimum 3.0 GPA must be reflected on all transcripts.
- Also on the Uploads Tab, upload a copy of current teaching license. (Emergency license and statement of eligibility are not acceptable.)
- Applications are due at least ten days prior to the beginning of the Summer, Fall, or Spring terms.
- A500 Introduction to Educational Leadership must be taken as one of the first courses. It is offered each term. Contact Dr. Robin Fankhauser email@example.com for more information.
- Indiana application’s must hold a master’s degree or be enrolled in the M.S.Ed. program at IU Southeast.
- Kentucky applications must hold a master’s degree to be considered for acceptance. Kentucky candidates may apply hours toward a Rank I upon completion of the program.
A two-year gap in coursework will require a new application for re-admission into any graduate program, and a mandatory meeting with a program advisor. The re-admitted candidate must then comply with any new program requirements, if any.
Graduate admission application deadlines:
- Summer Session 1: Rolling application. Review up until ten days before the term begins.
- Summer Session 2: Rolling application. Review up until ten days before the term begins.
- Fall: Rolling application. Review up until ten days before the term begins.
- Spring: Rolling application. Review up until ten days before the term begins.
Upcoming Advising Sessions
|3/2/2019||11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.||University Center North, Room 121|
|4/10/2019||5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.||Graduate Center, Room 411|
|8/12/2019||5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.||Graduate Center, Room 411|
Educational Leadership License Advisors
- The program advisor for candidates with last names beginning with letters A - H is Dr. Doyin Coker-Kolo.
- The program advisor for candidates with last names beginning with letters I - Q is Dr. Gloria Murray.
- The program advisor for candidates with last names beginning with letters R - Z is Dr. Robin Fankhauser.
- Mentor/School District Agreement Form
- Field Supervisor/Mentor Information Form
- Application for the ED Leadership Practicum
- Practicum Manual
- ELCC SPA Assessment 3 Directions and Rubric
- ELCC SPA Assessment 4 Directions and Rubric
- ELCC SPA Assessment 5 Directions and Rubric
- ELCC SPA Assessment 6 Directions and Rubric
- ELCC SPA Assessment 7 Directions and Rubric