Are you ready to expand your impact in today's diverse classroom? Our English as a New Language/English as a Second Language license prepares educators to deepen their understanding of classroom diversity and gives them tools to help students from different backgrounds succeed. A teacher may be licensed after completing 15 hours and passing the required state exams. Kentucky teachers need to complete the 24-hour program to be eligible for a Rank 1.
LICENSE REQUIREMENTS – 15 CREDIT HOURS
For an ENL/ESL license in Indiana, candidates must complete 15 credit hours of required coursework.
|Dept./Course #||Title||Credit Hours|
|EDUC-L 524||Language Education Issues in Bilingual And Multicultural Education||3|
|EDUC-L 540||ESL/EFL Instruction and Assessment Approaches||3|
|EDUC-L 539||Language Foundation for ESL/EFL||3|
|EDUC-L 502||Socio‐Psycholinguistics Application to Reading Instruction||3|
|EDUC-M 501||Laboratory/Field Experience in ESL (Observations)||1|
|EDUC-M 501||Laboratory/Field Experience in ESL (Teaching in local settings)||2|
RANK 1 REQUIREMENTS FOR KENTUCKY – 24 CREDIT HOURS
|Dept./Course #||Title||Credit Hours|
|EDUC-L 541||Writing Instruction for TESL Teachers||3|
|EDUC-L 546||Mentorship and Literacy Coaching of EFL/ESL Teaching (currently taught online via IU Bloomington)||3|
|EDUC-L 547||Language Policy and Planning (currently taught online via IU Bloomington)||3|
|Additional Option:||Other related courses pending approval through petition.||3-9|
Upgrade to a master's degree
The ENL/ESL License Program features a rolling application process.
- Communicate with Dr. Donna Albrecht, program coordinator, to ensure your goals and our program align. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete online application. The $40 application fee is currently waived due to COVID-19 but may be reinstated at any time. If you have questions about the application, please contact Tracy Stracener, Records Specialist at email@example.com or (812) 941-2388.
- You will choose Graduate Additional License in ENL, or if you wish to pursue your Master of Science, choose Elementary or Secondary with an ENL Concentration. You can find out more information about the MS program here.
- For your personal statement please state why you wish to join this program.
- Fill out this online self-evaluation survey.
- Submit official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work completed at institutions other than an IU school. A 2.5 GPA for all undergraduate coursework, 3.0 GPA for all graduate coursework must be reflected on all transcripts. Mail these to the address below. Many universities also have an online delivery of transcripts. Those can be sent to this email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Also please send a copy of your current teaching license or state of eligibility. (Emergency license may be accepted for courses toward a permanent license, but please communicate with Dr. Albrecht to be sure.)
Contact Dr. Donna Albrecht, Program Coordinator for more information: email@example.com
Please send all completed materials to:
- All candidates pursing the M.S.Ed. with concentration in ENL/ESL, or a stand-alone ENL/ESL license must meet with Dr. Donna Albrecht, program coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an advising session. This can be conducted via email, zoom or in person meeting. The goal is to ensure that your goals and the program are a match and to ensure that we can meet your needs
- Candidates who are getting ready to finalize the program and need clinical placements for EDUC-M 501 (the ENL/ESL Practicum) MUST CONTACT Dr. Donna Albrecht for clinical placement: pre-requisites, registration in M501 and placements.
For more information, please contact Dr. Donna Albrecht, ENL/ESL Coordinator and Director of Graduate Studies in the School of Education