Are you ready to expand your impact in today's diverse classroom? Our English as a New Language/English as a Second Language license prepares educators to deepen their understanding of classroom diversity and gives them tools to help students from different backgrounds succeed. A teacher may be licensed after completing 15 hours and passing the required state exams. Kentucky teachers need to complete the 24-hour program to be eligible for a Rank 1.
LICENSE REQUIREMENTS FOR INDIANA – 15 CREDIT HOURS
For an ENL/ESL license in Indiana, candidates must complete 15 credit hours of required coursework.
|Dept./Course #||Title||Credit Hours|
|EDUC-L 524||Language Education Issues in Bilingual And Multicultural Education||3|
|EDUC-L 540||ESL/EFL Instruction and Assessment Approaches||3|
|EDUC-L 539||Language Foundation for ESL/EFL||3|
|EDUC-L 502||Socio‐Psycholinguistics Application to Reading Instruction||3|
|EDUC-M 501||Laboratory/Field Experience in ESL (Observations)||1|
|EDUC-M 501||Laboratory/Field Experience in ESL (Teaching in local settings)||2|
RANK 1 REQUIREMENTS FOR KENTUCKY – 24 CREDIT HOURS
|Dept./Course #||Title||Credit Hours|
|EDUC-L 541||Writing instruction for ESL/EFL Teachers (currently taught online via IU Bloomington)||3|
|EDUC-L 546||Mentorship and Literacy Coaching of EFL/ESL Teaching (currently taught online via IU Bloomington)||3|
|EDUC-L 547||Language Policy and Planning (currently taught online via IU Bloomington)||3|
|Additional Option:||Other related courses pending approval through petition.||3-9|
Upgrade to a master's degree
The ENL/ESL License Program features a rolling application process.
- Attend a mandatory program advising session (this can be a phone call with Dr. Albrecht). For all questions contact Donna Albrecht email@example.com.
- Complete online application. A $40 application fee is assessed when applying to program. If a previous application fee was paid the fee should be waived. To determine if fee is to be waived, please contact Mary Ann Wild, Records Specialist at firstname.lastname@example.org or (812) 941-2388.
- Fill out the online self evaluation survey.
- Submit official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work completed at institutions other than an IU school. A 2.5 GPA for all undergraduate coursework, 3.0 GPA for all graduate coursework must be reflected on all transcripts.
- Also on the Uploads Tab, upload a copy of current teaching license or statement of eligibility. (Emergency license not acceptable.)
A two-year gap in coursework will require a new application for re-admission into any graduate program, and a mandatory meeting with a program advisor. The re-admitted candidate must then comply with any new program requirements, if any.
Please send all completed materials to:
IU Southeast School of Education
Mary Ann Wild, Records Specialist
Hillside Hall 108A
4201 Grant Line Road
New Albany, IN 47150
Graduate Admission Application Deadlines
- Fall: Rolling application. Review up until ten days before the term begins.
- Spring: Rolling application. Review up until ten days before the term begins.
- Dr. Donna Albrecht, program advisor, will be conducting general advising sessions and licensing-related advising meetings. Please contact her at email@example.com for more information. Check here for advising session dates.
- All candidates pursing the M.S.Ed. with concentration in ENL/ESL, or a stand-alone ENL/ESL license must meet with Dr. Donna Albrecht, firstname.lastname@example.org, in order to fully understand the requirements and the process, and to plan the tentative calendar for their course.
- Candidates getting ready to finalize the program and needing clinical placements MUST CONTACT DR. DONNA ALBRECHT FOR THEIR CLINICAL PLACEMENT: PRE-REQUISITES, REGISTRATION IN M501 AND PLACEMENTS.
For more information please contact Lisa Hoffman or Dr. Donna Albrecht.