Questions to Ask Employers
During the interview it is common for the recruiter or hiring manager to ask if YOU have any questions. Be sure to take advantage of this time to learn more about the company culture, the team you'd be working with, and some of the challenges involved in the role.
Consider these tips when creating your list of questions:
- Prepare at least five questions, preferably more, in case some are answered over the course of the interview.
- Be sure to ask appropriate questions for your audience. When talking to a recruiter during the initial phase, their knowledge about the specifics of the role could be limited. Save more detailed questions for second and third interviews, covering the basics in the initial screening.
- Do your research and be sure to avoid questions that have answers easily found on the company website.
- Write your questions down and bring them in a folder or padfolio. This shows the employer you've come prepared and ensures you'll remember to cover the most important topics.
- Avoid questions related to benefits, salary, or promotions as those can be asked once an offer is on the table.
- In addition to other suggestions found online, here are some go-to options:
- Describe the typical first-year on the job.
- What training programs are available to help me excel in this position?
- What are the most challenging facets of this role?
- What are the company's plans for future growth?
- What makes your firm stand out from its competitors?
- What are the company's biggest strengths and weaknesses?
- How would you describe your company's culture and management style?
- What is the structure of the department in which I would be working?
- Why do you enjoy working for your firm?
- What qualities are you looking for in your new hires?
- What characteristics do successful people have at your company?
- Who do you consider your top competitor and why?
- What is a typical career path for someone in this role?
- How do you anticipate this role evolving over time?
- What are the next steps in the interview process?