As a service to its students, faculty, and staff, the Indiana University Southeast Library will borrow desired materials owned by libraries outside of the Indiana University Library system. This service is provided at no additional charge.
Who May Use This Service
- All IU Southeast students, faculty, and staff may request materials to be interlibrary loaned.
- Kentuckiana Metroversity students should order interlibrary loan materials from the school they are currently attending.
- Community members not affiliated with IU Southeast as students, faculty, or staff may request interlibrary loans from their local public libraries.
Types of Materials That May Be Requested
- Books and articles (from periodicals or newspapers) may be requested.
- Materials owned by the IU Libraries will not typically be ordered through Interlibrary Loan. Patrons may request materials owned by IU Libraries directly from IUCAT via the Request Delivery button. If no copies are available within the IU Library system, an interlibrary loan request will be considered.
- Most libraries will not loan reference books, an entire journal volume, or rare books.
Where to Make Requests
- Please complete the Interlibrary Loan Request Form
- In compliance with United States copyright laws, patrons must agree with the Copyright Compliance Notice before placing an Article Request.
Number of Items that May Be Requested
- Undergraduate Students: 50 items per semester
- Graduate Students: No Limit
- Faculty: No Limit
- Staff: No Limit
Time Periods Involved – How Long Will It Take
- Requests for physical materials take an average of 10 – 12 business days to fill, but time periods may vary. Please plan accordingly.
- Digital articles take an average of 1 – 3 business days to fill, but time periods may vary. Please plan accordingly.
- Loan periods will vary and are set by the lending libraries.
- All materials are subject to being recalled by lending libraries at any time.
- Renewals are dictated by the lending libraries and should be requested 3 – 4 days before the due date. This may be done by calling (812) 941-2487 or by emailing the Interlibrary Loan Department
- There is a limit of three renewal requests for each item, but these may be declined by the lending library.
Charges and Fines
- There is no charge for requesting materials through Interlibrary Loan.
- However, you are responsible for returning all interlibrary loaned materials on time. Any late fees or replacement charges accumulated by the IU Southeast Library from lending libraries will be billed to patrons.
Notifications and Pickup
- When the IU Southeast Library receives and processes materials, patrons will be notified via their official Indiana University email addresses. Please note, emails will not be sent to non-IU email addresses.
- Materials may be picked up at the Library Service Desk.
Please email the IU Southeast Interlibrary Loan Department (email@example.com) or contact Rachel Getz, Interlibrary Loan Assistant, by phone at (812) 941-2487.