Frequently Asked Questions

General Information/Location:

How do I get help with library research?

Stop by the Reference Desk or call a reference librarian (812) 941-2489 or chat with a Reference Librarian during. You can also send an e-mail to Ask-A-Librarian, if your request is not as time-sensitive.

What are your hours?

For an up-to-date listing of our hours, please visit our Hours page.

Where is a quiet place to study?

The lower (first) floor of the Library by the elevators is designated as a quiet study space. There are also carrels on the top (third) floor.

How do I reserve a group study room?

Stop by the Reference Desk or call (812) 941-2489. Reservations must be made at least two hours ahead of time; otherwise rooms are available first-come first-served. Room reservations can be made two weeks in advance. The full room reservation policy is available here.

I lost my flash drive, where can I find it?

When it’s turned into us we’ll keep it at the Circulation Desk until someone has time to run it over to the University Police Department’s lost and found. Check at the Circulation Desk first, then check with the University Police.

How do I get to the library?

We’re between Crestview Hall and Hillside Hall. There are signs on campus that point in our direction.

For those that haven’t been to campus before you can find directions here.

We recommend parking in the Evergreen West lot by the Activities Building. Be sure to get a parking permit or park at a meter.

Can I eat in the library?

You can eat in the lobby and in the Subway but not anywhere else in the building. If we see you carrying in your meal in the front door we’ll ask you to eat it elsewhere. This is to discourage bugs from eating your leftovers in the Library.

What resources are available for users with disabilities?

The Library is home to the Adaptive Technology Center (ATC).

How can I find a job in the Library? Are you hiring?

We usually are hiring work-study eligible students at the beginning of the semester to help at the Circulation Desk or behind the scenes in Technical Services. Please stop by the Circulation Desk and pick up an application. You must be eligible for work-study to work for the Library.

Where is the die-cut machine?

It’s located upstairs in the Curriculum Materials Center (CMC, LB330).

Where is the CULAB?

The CULAB (formerly the Curriculum Materials Lab) is located in room 330, the Curriculum Materials Center, at the top of the front stairs and through the glass doors. This collection includes children’s and young adult literature to support the School of Education.

Where are the photocopiers?

There are two copiers on the second (main) level of the Library; one near the elevators (it is also a printer) and another near the newspapers and fax machine. Both copiers require either a CrimsonCard or a Community Borrower’s Printer Card.

Where are the printers?

Student printers are conveniently located on all three floors of the Library. Black and white printing is available on all three floors. Color printing is available on the second (main) floor. Additional information about printing on campus is available on the Printing, Copying, and Faxing IT page.

Where are the books?

The majority of our physical books are located in the “Stacks,” on the top (third) floor. The lower (first) floor houses the bound print periodicals.

Where are the children’s books?

They are in the Curriculum Materials Center, located in room 330, at the top of the front stairs and through the glass doors.

Where do I get help with library research?

Stop by the Reference Desk or call a Reference Librarian (812) 941-2489 during library hours. You can also send an e-mail to Ask-A-Librarian, if your request is not as time-sensitive. If you would like an in-depth one-on-one consultation with a Reference Librarian, you can book a session.

Where can I get help writing my research paper?

The Writing Center no longer has an annex office in the Library. You can visit the Writing Center website for their hours in Knobview and to book an appointment with them.

I’ve forgotten my CrimsonCard, can I still print?

You can use the computers in the LB235 to print directly to the printer in that room.

Library Materials/Collection

Where/How can I find DVD’s and films in the library?

The feature film DVD’s are on the main (second) floor just past the Reference Desk. Other non-fiction films can be located by searching IUCAT with the “Videodisc” format selected.

Do you have any e-books?

Yes! We have thousands of e-books. You can find them searching IUCAT (check the “Online Only” box) or you can search e-book collections through their databases.

Where do I find a journal article?

Journal articles are located in library databases. Databases can be multidisciplinary (cover a lot of subjects), like Academic Search Premier or JSTOR, or can be subject specific, like Business Source Premier or Philosopher’s Index. Start here.

Do you have the Wall Street Journal (WSJ)?

Yes. We have access to the WSJ in print and online. For a paper copy, stop by the Circulation Desk with a photo ID.

For searching for a specific article by title or subject, we recommend ABI/INFORM Complete. For browsing electronically the past two weeks of the WSJ, we suggest Factiva. Online access is available here.

How do I find the full text of an article citation?

Go to this page. Type in the journal title in the search box to see what databses have that journal full-text, or if it is available in print on the lower (first) floor. Contact a reference librarian if you need assistance, (812) 941-2489.

How do I recommend a title for purchase?

You can complete a purchase request here.


How can I access the wireless?

IU students, faculty, and staff should join the “IU Secure” wireless network using your IU username and passphrase. Community borrowers or guests can use the attwifi network to connect.

I’m not a student, can I use the computer/wireless/printers?

Yes. For wireless access, you can connect to the attwifi network. If you would like to use the computers in the Library, you can request a guest account. You will need a valid government-issued photo ID. To print, you will need a Community Borrower’s Printing Card. You will need to put a minimum of $1.00 on this card in order to print.

How to I access library resources from off campus?

Unless specifically stated, all of our databases are available to IU Southeast students, faculty, and staff anytime and anywhere. If you're off campus, you will be asked to log in after you've clicked on your database of choice. Just type in your IU Southeast username and passphrase (the same one you use for One.IU and Canvas).

What is my printing quota? How many pages do I have left on my printing quota?

Your printing quota depends on how many credit hours you are enrolled in. Visit the Printing, Copying, and Faxing IT page for your allotment. Note that it usually takes until the second week of the semester before your full quota is available. 

You can check your current quota by logging in to any of the student computers and clicking on the “my printing allotment” icon on the desktop. 

Can I download this eBook onto my e-reader?

You can download most eBooks from the ebrary and EBSCOhost platforms onto your computer, e-reader, or mobile device. For additional information on eBooks available from the IU Southeast Library and for help on how to download an eBook onto your device, visit this page.

Is there a computer available?

Almost certainly. There are 120 computers available to students in the Library alone. This page shows their availability.

Do you have a scanner?

There are two scanners available on the student computers directly behind the Reference Desk on the main (second) floor.

Do you have a color printer?

Yes. A color printer is on the second (main) floor of the Library. Additional information about printing on campus is available on the Printing, Copying, and Faxing IT page.

Do you have a fax machine?

Yes, it’s available in the middle of the second (main) level of the Library. You should be able to send a fax locally and toll free, as well as to a fax number in much of the state of Indiana using the IU IP phone network. Unfortunately long distance faxing is NOT available.


Where do I return my books?

Library materials are checked out and returned at the Circulation Desk, located on the second (main) floor of the Library. There is also a book drop by the bus stop, and to the left of the main entrance to the Library.

Where do I check out books?

Library materials are checked out and returned at the Circulation Desk, located on the second (main) floor of the Library.

How do I get a library card?

Your CrimsonCard is used to check out materials. Students, faculty, and staff from other IU campuses can also check out books using their IU identification card. Indiana residents and Kentucky residents living in Bullitt, Jefferson, Meade, Oldham, Shelby, Spencer, or Trimble counties may apply for a Library Borrower's Card. The attendants at the Circulation Desk can explain specific borrowing guidelines and policies, or you may visit our Policy Page to learn more.

How many books can I check out at one time?

There is no limit on the number of items an individual may borrow.

How long can I borrow materials?

Faculty, Staff, and Graduate Students may check out materials for 120 days. (These materials are subject to recall and are subject to a $25 overdue fine. If recalled materials become overdue, the user's library circulation privileges, including interlibrary loan, will be suspended system-wide until the overdue recalled materials are returned.)

Undergraduate Students may have materials for 45 days.

Community Borrowers may check out materials for 30 days.

Center for Cultural Resources items circulate for twenty-one days after approval by the Director of the Center for Cultural Resources. If Center for Cultural Resources items become overdue, the patron's borrowing privileges will be suspended until the materials are returned.

Do you have textbooks?

The IU Southeast Library does not generally collect textbooks, though your professor may have placed a copy of your textbook on reserve. You can check to see if a copy is available from the library or on reserve using IUCAT, our library catalog. We do have a small collection of primary and secondary school textbooks; however, these are no longer being updated each year.

How can I renew my books?

Students, faculty, and staff may renew items online by logging into “My Account” in IUCAT, by telephone (812) 941-2485, or in person at the Circulation Desk.

Community borrowers may renew items by telephone (812) 941-2485 or in person at the Circulation Desk.

How do I place a hold a book?

A hold will only be placed on items owned by IU Southeast if it is checked out and not available from another IU library. Contact the Circulation Desk by telephone (812) 941-2485 or in person to place a hold on an item.

How do I get a book that my instructor put on reserve?

Print course reserve materials may be checked out at the Circulation Desk. You need to know your instructor's name and the course number. Depending upon the type of reserve your instructor set up you may check out materials for 2 hours, overnight, 4-days or 7-days using your CrimsonCard.

How do I borrow a book from another IU campus?

IU Southeast students, faculty, and staff may place requests online through IUCAT.

  1. Conduct a search and select the item you want.
  2. Click on the red Request Delivery button on the right side of the screen.
  3. Log in using your IU Southeast username & password when prompted.
  4. Select the Southeast library from the drop down menu.
  5. Click on the Request Delivery button.

Requests for delivery usually take 4-7 working days to complete.

How do I borrow a book that is not in IUCAT?

IU Southeast students, staff, and faculty may order books not available in IUCAT through interlibrary loan.

If you are not a member of the IU Southeast student, faculty, or staff, please contact your local public library for interlibrary loan services. Kentuckiana Metroversity students should order interlibrary loan materials from the school they are currently attending.

I lost a book, how much will it cost to replace it and who do I contact?

Books that have not been returned or renewed by 30 days past their due dates are treated as "lost" and bills are issued for them. Standard replacement cost for print materials is $60. Replacement cost for non-print items is actual replacement cost. A processing charge of $10.50 will be added to each item.

If you know that an item is lost, please contact the Circulation Desk in person or by phone.

My books is late. How much am I being charged per day?

Overdue fines are calculated at a rate of 25 cents per each day the Library is open. The maximum overdue fine is $25 per item. Overdue recalled items are subject to an automatic $25 fine.

How do I pay a fine?

You can pay fines for IU Southeast books at the Circulation Desk. Late fines accrued from books borrowed from other IU libraries must be paid to that library.

How do I find the children’s books in IUCAT?

The best way to find children’s books is to use IUCAT Classic. In the dropdown menu, change the “Location” to IU Southeast Lib. – CULAB – General Collections. This will narrow your search to the materials located in our Curriculum Materials Center, where all of our children’s books are shelved.

Faculty Specific

How do I schedule a library instructions session for my class?

Maria Accardi is the Library’s Coordinator of Instruction. She can be reached by phone at (812) 941-2551, in person in room 217, or by email at to schedule an instruction session for your class.

Please see the Library’s Instruction Policy: for additional information.

How do I add a link to a journal article in my OnCourse site?

To provide access to journal articles that are paid for by the IU Southeast Library, you will need to add the follow prefix to the URL of the article:

This ensures that students are authenticated as IU Southeast users.

How do I add a link to a journal article in my Canvas site?

To provide access to journal articles that are paid for by the IU Southeast Library, you will need to add the follow prefix to the URL of the article:

This ensures that students are authenticated as IU Southeast users.

How to I find out the impact factor of a journal?

The impact factor of a journal is sometimes available on the journal’s website, though it may not be the most current number. You can find a journal’s Eigenfactor score freely available online here.

How do I place materials on reserve for use in my class?

To place materials on reserve, you will need to fill out a COURSE REQUEST FORM for each item. Bring the forms and materials to the Library Circulation Desk. For more information about reserves, please see: